Frequently Asked Questions about Garage Door Openers
Your Overhead Door Distributor can provide you with a broad range of garage door opener and opener accessories, from remote controls to wireless keypads.
How do I program my remote?
View garage door opener programming instructions in our video library.
What is the difference between the Screw, Belt and Chain drive garage door openers?
- Screw Drive—powerful, fast and quiet. Maximum power for heavy doors.
- Belt Drive—quiet and smooth performance. Ideal for garages adjacent to living areas.
- Chain Drive—rugged and reliable. Suitable for most garage doors.
How can I get a new remote control for my opener?
- Openers manufactured after 1980: an Overhead Door® Master Remote can be purchased from your local Overhead Door Distributor
- Openers manufactured prior to 1980: we no longer carry remotes and your system must be upgraded with a new receiver kit.
How do I program my wireless keypad?
View on-line: wireless keypad instructions
Download PDF Model OWK-BX: English Spanish French
Download PDF Model OKP-BX: English Spanish French
How can I program a garage door opener to work with my HomeLink® system?
To program the HomeLink® transceiver, some vehicles may require the ignition to be turned on or the vehicle to be running. For additional garage door opener help, view the HomeLink® programming instructions.
What are Series I and Series II electronics for wall consoles and buttons?
Overhead Door integrates different technology into its openers and wall consoles. The technologies are known as Series I, Series II and Series III. Series II is backwards compatible to Series I. Series III is not backwards compatible without additional purchased parts. Contact your Overhead Door Distributor for further details.
If the date code of your opener is 041217 or higher, you can use a Series II wall console with your opener. If not, you must use a Series I wall console for your opener.
My opener has a Series II wall console. Can I use more than one wall console with my opener?
No, you can only install one (1) Series II wall console per opener; however, you can use a Series I wall button as second device. For answers to garage door or openers questions not listed here, please contact customer service at 1-800-275-6187 or your local Overhead Door Distributor.