In order to provide the correct door solution, we need to understand the Architect/Contractor to Door Supplier/Manufacturer Relationship.
Architect to Door Supplier Relationship
- What information must be supplied about door from the architect/builder/contractor to pick the proper wind load door?
- Jamb type
- Opening clearance information
- Design pressure requirement (PSF +/-), not wind speed
- Impact required? Yes or No
- What the manufacturer gives to the architect/builder/contractor:
- Door that meets specifications
- Loads the door will place on the structure; shown on the wind load drawing
Specifications can often times be found on the Building Specification Page. On the structural specification page for a building, the structural engineer lists all of the wind load factors, as well as the pressure loads for the different parts of the structure, including the doors.